It’s finally feeling more like fall here in the South. The leaves have changed colors and are beginning to blanket the ground. The days are getting shorter and the nights getting colder. What better way to enjoy those long evenings indoors with the family than cozying up on the couch with a blanket and a warm bowl of homemade creamy chicken noodle soup?
Here in the South we’re known for comfort foods, and this creamy chicken noodle soup has all the characteristics of just that – comfort. It reminds you of home with its creamy texture and hints of garlic and butter. It’s a simple dish the whole family will love.
<This post may contain affiliate links. If you happen to click on them and make a purchase, I receive a commission. Thank you! Want to know more? Read my full disclosure policy here.>
~ PIN THIS RECIPE ~
- 4 bone-in chicken breasts halves
- 10 oz wide egg noodles
- 2 cans cream of chicken
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup shredded carrot
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- salt & pepper to taste
- Boil your chicken in a large pot like this one here. Make sure to add enough water to cover the chicken by about two inches. (This will be the broth used for the soup.)
- While your chicken is boiling, chop the carrots, celery and onion.
- Remove the cooked chicken from the pot and set aside to cool slightly.
- Once cooled, debone and shred two chicken breasts for the soup. (I use the remaining two chicken breasts to make my favorite chicken salad recipe.)
- Add egg noodles to the pot of remaining liquid and boil.
- In a skillet about this size, melt butter and add chopped veggies, garlic and parsley. Sauté until veggies are tender.
- Leaving the noodles and broth in the pot, add sautéd mixture, chicken and cream of chicken to the pot. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Let it simmer for a few minutes to let the flavors combine, and you’re done.
- Lastly, enjoy you’re Creamy-Chicken-Noodle-Soup!
Recipe Notes & Tips:
- If you’d like to shorten prep & cook time, here are some tips:
- Replace the boiled chicken with a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken, and…
- Use canned chicken broth.
- Check the produce department at your local grocery store. I can usually find the veggies already diced in containers.
- If you’re new to boiling chicken, check out these tips from Better Homes & Gardens.
- If you can’t make time for the grocery store or just want to skip the lines, you should try AmazonFresh. You can get a FREE trial + get $25 off your first order! Who doesn’t love Amazon? Plus, that’s an amazing deal! See if your address is a match HERE.
SAVE THIS RECIPE FOR LATER!
If you liked my creamy chicken noodle soup, check out this amazing Southern Style Caramelized Sweet Corn in a Skillet recipe.