<This post may contain affiliate links. If you happen to click on them and make a purchase, I receive a commission. Thank you! Want to know more? Read my full disclosure policy here.>
Corn in a skillet? What did you say? But really, who doesn’t love corn? Bright, crunchy and usually sweet, corn is one of those staples you can throw on the table with any meal. And, it’s one of those veggies you can get your typical kid to eat without having to beg, plea, or threaten.
This southern take on corn is sure to get your taste buds flowing. I mean, corn in a skillet with butter and sugar sautéd to caramelized perfection, who wouldn’t want to eat that? I can smell it now. Seriously though, it’s in my skillet right now and it smells like heaven.
- 5 ears of corn
- stick of butter
- 1 tbsp of sugar
- 1 tsp salt (+ more to taste)
How to Make Corn in a Skillet:
- First things first, shuck the corn. (If you hate trying to get every last corn silk off the cob like I do, try a vegetable brush. It makes life much easier, and it’s worth every penny if you cook with fresh veggies often.)
- With a sharp knife or a corn stripper, cut the corn off the cob. If using a knife, make sure to get as close to the cob as possible.
- Heat the skillet to medium heat, and add butter.
- Once the butter is melted, add the corn to the skillet and toss to coat evenly.
- Let the corn cook about ten minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add sugar and salt and stir.
- Let it simmer for a minute, stir and let cook for an additional minute to make sure it caramelizes throughout.
- Lastly, add pepper to taste, and you you’re done.
- Once you add the sugar, watch it carefully. It will become sticky, and you don’t want it to burn.
- You can skip the sugar, but it won’t get that sweet glaze that makes it so delectable.
- If you don’t have a cast iron skillet, you’re missing out. They are a true investment, as they stand the test of time. (The one I used for this recipe was my husband’s great grandmother’s.)
Save this recipe on Pinterest!
I hope you enjoy this southern classic as much as we do!